Friday, April 24, 2009

BIPOLAR DISORDER BLOG-HERE'S A SCARY ONE

BIPOLAR DISORDER BLOG
Here's a scary one...
Researchers at the University of Washington School of Medicine reviewed 48 years' worth of studies focusing on 'bipolar disorder and medical mortality.” They were checking on early deaths from natural causes and specific medical conditions. The compared the findings with an age-and gender-matched control group of people without mental illnesses.
What they found is that people with bipolar spectrum disorders are more likely to die early from general medical illnesses. This review doesn't count deaths or suicide or accident. The most common cause of premature death was heart disease.
The researchers theorized that factors to blame for these findings might be unhealthy lifestyles, biological factors, negative effects of medications, and differences in health care.
As we have reported, a high percentage of people with bipolar disorder are smokers, not to mention that more often than not, we gain significant weight from our medications. So I guess these reseaarchers' findings aren't surprising. Still, it's a bit chilling to see it in black and white.
COMMENTS
Susan says:
I would like to know a little bit more about the stats. Was there a big difference?
Thomas says:
This has been an ongoing discussion in my group therapy sessions. We are all nervous about the long term effects of these drugs. I take 3 different meds for bipolar, plus 2 more for triglycerides & cholesterol. I'd like to see more data to bring to the therapists & psychiatrists that treat us.
Kim says:
It's not scary to me cos if I can have a shorter life; I suffer less then; hopefully...
(4)cbt1 says:
I cant see myself using medication for the rest of my life that might kill me... And Kim...I am really sorry you feel that way...while you are logically right, your statement speaks volumes about quality of life issues.
Denise says:
Here's a scary one...
I do have a few issues with my health beyond the bipolar disorder. Iam extremely ADHD-I think it isn't just racing thoughts.
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia-both of which the PT said were severe enough that if I was in my late 60's or so, I would be told to sit on the couch and let other people do my housework.
Only problem is that we adopted a bit late. I have two boys and one beginning to show signs of bipolar (and an IQ of 150) and one with attachment disorder.
I have had my gallbladder removed, a hysterectomy, and am quite overweight.
I have high cholesterol and family history of heart disease-so why am I still not working on it?
I am not cynical-but I do believe that depression, stress and mania will take a toll on me, at least.
That is not to say that I lying down and giving up-not yet. I will keep working to improve my mental health and other areas of my life.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it,
Denise
kym says:
I have been diagnosed with bipolar for 30 years-I am almost 55 now. After seeing many Dr.'s and settling in on a great one for the past 14 years I see myself as an example of what has become possible for me. I love to live”! I am on 10 meds. For the bipolar and once in awhile I have to break down and go in for ECT treatments which I don't like but are very helpful for me. I am working on going to exercise at least 3 times weekly (which is very hard at times) but have put on about 40 extra lbs. Which I would like to TRY to lose. I also have fibromyalgia and migraines but the biggest ordeal I've tackled the past two years is cancer, Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, of the bone marrow and spleen. I have been cancer free for 1 ½ years and feel blessed for each and every day that I have. Even if it is a bad bipolar day!! God bless you all!!
Kym
http://bipolar.about.com/b/20009/03/06/heres-a-scary-one.htm?nl=l

No comments: