Monday, June 2, 2008

short story-Unexpected Visit-by Cheryl V.

CHERYL VERBEKE
4977 MEISNER
EAST CHINA TWP.,
MI. 48054
EMAIL—cherbear1950
@yahoo.com



AN UNEXPECTED TRIP


CHAPTER I


One day, while on shift over at Chicago County General, Dr. Dave Nugent, a resident pediatrician received an unexpected call from the manager over at the hotel of which his dad was the owner. He’s shocked to find out, that his dad jus died, although, he and his dad were never close. However, Dr. Nugent has a vacation due him. So, Dr. Nugent wanted to talk to his buddy about going on a trip with him.

So, Dr. Nugent was able to leave his shift about nine o’clock, that night, because jus before leaving the hospital, being neither he nor Dr. Davidson jus happened to be tied up with any patients. So, after grabbing whatever he needed out of his locker, Dr Nugent and Dr. Davidson, the attending physician walked outside Chicago County General.

Since, the weather is very pleasant, that night, the two jus stood where the small recreation area is near one of the walls, so, Dr. Nugent said to his buddy.

“Jus happened to have a shocking phone call while on my shift, tonight. An old neighbor of mine, back when I had been a kid, jus let me know, that my dad died. Jus found out, he has been very sickly with leukemia which, greatly, shortened his life which brought him to an early death, mostly, because over at the hospital, at which he had been staying, his doctor couldn’t find him, a bone marrow donor.”

“That’s real a shame, and I’m sorry to hear, that your dad died, my buddy,” said Dr. Paul Davidson.”

So, then, Dr. Dave Nugent said to Paul, almost in tears over his dad’s sudden death, “So, the guy gave me, the address, and faxed the directions to his house over the fax machine at the hospital. I’ve decided to take some vacation time, so, would you like to go on a trip with me to Ohio? That’s where Mary and I are going to hold our own stylish funeral if you want to call it that. I’m leaving tomorrow morning and she’s going to meet me at a hotel, once, I arrived in North Carolina.”

“Well, since, I, also, have some sick days due to me; I might as well go with you. I need some time off from this hospital and away from this hectic emergency room.”

“Okay, I know you have to get going to catch the el back home.”

“I’ll tell you what. Since, I’m the one who has the best car for traveling; I’ll meet you in the morning over at your apartment. I’ll pick you up about nine o’clock in the morning. Okay, I must get going or I’ll miss the el. See you then, buddy.”

“Yea, see you tomorrow. Goodbye.”

So, Dr. Davidson ran down the street like crazy as fast as his feet could carry him. And he jus made it to the el in time, and ran inside it jus as it was taking off.

So, on his way home from the hospital, Dr. Nugent is in deep thought, “I and my dad never have been like a family, ever since, my mom’s death. Ever since, I have been jus a kid, and a teenager, my dad, always, seemed to act very distant to me after my mom died of cancer. After her early death, my dad, always, seemed to be very lonely for her, and jus never seemed to his love for me. Also, my dad and I never got along after her death. And my dad never, then, could show me jus how much he, still, meant to me or even cared for me.”

Then, when Dave couldn’t go to sleep when he wanted that night, this seemed to be on his mind, “When I used to be a teenager, got mixed up with the wrong crowd. So, I had started smoking pot jus because it seemed to cover up the problems, I had been having in trying to cope with mom’s death.

Boy, am I, feeling sorry for this, because one time, the cops had found out me, hanging out at this one abandoned house not far from where my dad and I had been living. So, they busted all of us, and then, we all were sent to this program by the cops, so, we all could get into a program to get off of drugs.”

FLASHBACK

Although, Dave’s dad, still, had loved his son, he hadn’t been able cope with him after he found out, he had been smoking pot; and got busted for it. So, his dad placed him in this boarding house, and sends his son, money, every month. But Dave didn’t like living there, so, one night, he broke out of the boarding house, and sneaked out through his bedroom window. He took with him, whatever clothes, money, and anything else, he had to his name.

Then, he became lucky to find one of the neighbors who could sympathize on what he had been going through. So, she allowed him to rent out a room in her house for thirty dollars, a month. Also, she gave him, a job, helping her take care of her house; and got him, a grant to go to medical school. After he completed medical school, a few years later, he landed a job as a medical student at Chicago County General, and worked himself to being a resident pediatrician.

That one morning, Dr. Dave Nugent got up with his alarm clock about eight o’clock on one nice and mild sunny morning.

As he turned off his alarm clock, he thought, “It’s hard to believe, that my dad and I have been out of contact for so long. After I broke out of that boarding house, I thought, he would keep sending me, money over at my new resident because I sent my dad, a letter, as soon as I moved into the house there. But I guess he must have given up on me by that time being that I never seemed to be a model of the kind of son, he wanted me to be.”

Jus after he got dressed into some comfortable clothes, jean shorts and a blue tea shirt, shaved and ate, and packed some clothes for a few days, he’s watching the news when he heard a knock on his door.

So, he turned off his television, and walked to the door, and as he looked out the eye hole, noticed its Dr. Davidson, Paul, as he, always, calls him by his first name being they’re close buddies.

Then, he opened the door, and said to Paul, “It’s nice to see you, my good buddy. C’mon inside and have a cup of coffee before we leave on our trip.”

“I’m not in much of a hurry. So, I’ll have some coffee with sugar and cream in it. I see it’s turned out to be a nicer day than I expected. We were supposed to get some rain, but it looks like the clouds have dissipated,” said Paul as he set his suitcase and jacket down on the brown couch in the living room.

“Since, you’re having some coffee; I might as well have another cup because I, certainly, don’t want to fall asleep during most of the trip. I want to be able to catch the scenery, too, which I think, is the best part about going on any trip. And I, also, packed some eatables like crackers and cheese and, of course, a few cases of beer and Gator Aid.”

“Where, exactly, do you have in mind for our destination?”

“ Have to travel to Raleigh, North Carolina because that’s where my dad used to live in trailer next to the hotel, there, before he died; also, he used to be the hotel owner.”

While he drank his coffee, Paul said to him, “You’re not planning any fancy funeral for your dad, are you? Are you having your dad, cremated? Because it’ll be a lot less money, you have to spend on a regular funeral.”

“Yes, I am,” replied Dave, “Since, the trip is going to be a bit long; I’m having his body burnt to ashes. In fact, when Mary reaches North Carolina, tomorrow, she’s going to stop and pick up the urn for me. That’ll be a lot less worry and bother for me. That way, we don’t have to go out of our way. We can stay pretty much on the highways until we reach our destination.”

Then, Paul said to him, “I think, it would be quite hard to make a funeral, since, it, usually, is set up in the morning hours, anyways. So, are you ready to embark on our trip? We’d better leave now because when it reaches the late afternoon, a lot of people will be getting out of work. This way, we will be able to avoid all that traffic.”

Dave replied, “I hope, you remembered to gas up that car of yours. Also, do you have plenty of money with you? Because, sometimes, when it’s necessary to stop for food while on the highway, some of the restaurants can be pretty expensive unless you run into some fast food places.”

Paul said to him, “I wouldn’t worry about that part because I’ve been through North Carolina, many times, when I go visit my daughter. So, being that I, always, stay on the highway as long as I can when I use my car, I know, that we will be running into plenty of restaurants that are cheap enough including fast food places. I’m sure, you’ll want to stop at your dads’ place, and check it out.”

Then, Dave said to him, “Well, we’d better get on our way. And I’m sure; you’ll want to stop at your parents’ place on our way to North Carolina. Know that they don’t live far from the highway.”

As they arrived at Paul’s car, there’s, barely, enough room in the trunk for their suitcases and stuff, but managed to fit everything except for the drinks and snacks back there. Then, after everything is set in their places, Paul hopped into the driver’s seat, and then, Dave hopped into the front seat beside him, and they were off on their way. And Paul pulled out of the parking lot, so fast, that Dave thought he’s going to go right into the windshield if it wasn’t for him, having on his seatbelt.

Before they realized it, they were on I-90 E/1-94 E/Kennedy Expressway E. And as they are traveling on the expressway, Dave has the radio blasting loud, and Paul is trying to talk to over the music.

So, on the way, Paul said to Dave, “It feels good to get away from my job over at the hospital. Being a physician attendant can become quite hectic at times. By the way, where was your dad living before he died?”

Dave replied, “From what his old friend told me over the phone over at the hospital, yesterday, he, actually, lived in a trailer near a hotel on Bloodworth Street. He used to be the owner of the hotel, and he made good money living there, too.”

Paul said to Dave, “It’s hard to believe, that we have been on the expressway for a half hour, already, so, be sure to look for exit 17 because it’ll will lead you right to another highway, I-65. Just be sure to follow the signs because it’ll take about two hours to get to that highway. By the way, did you want to stop somewhere to eat while we are on this expressway?”

Dave said to Paul, “I’ll wait until we get onto I-65. I’m sure; they’ll have plenty of fast food restaurants on that highway. I don’t know about you, but I’m, really, not hungry. My appetite has been crazy, lately, probably, because my dad jus died. It has been quite shocking to me, although, my dad and I never were like a family should be. I was close to my mom, but my dad jus never treated me like I was his son.”

Being that Dave is starting to feel like of car sick, and Paul was getting somewhat tired, then, Dave pulled into the next exit as they have been on I-65 for about two to three hours. And then, Dave took the next street and then, as they came upon a fast food place, Wendy’s, they stopped there, and got themselves, some lunch as they didn’t know when they would find another fast food place.

As they pulled into Wendy’s, since, they both were quite hungry, as they were walking inside the restaurant, Dave said to Paul, “What would you like to order, I’m getting a hamburger and a chocolate shake?”

“I think I’ll order the same along with a cup of coffee.”

“I’ll get a cup of coffee, too, being that I need some to help keep me awake.”

As the two sat down at one of the red booths after they received their orders, Paul said to Dave, “Would you like me to drive for awhile? You look like you’re getting very sleepy and look kind of tired. Also, know, that both of us had to get kind of early in order to make it onto the highway before there was too much traffic, although, we, probably, will hit a lot of traffic later on one of the other highways as we go along.”

“Yea, that’s a good idea,” said Dave, “In fact, my eyes are starting to get quite heavy, although, I slept very good last night.”

“You’ve driven for a few hours, already. So, let me, taking over the driving for part of the trip. That way, you’ll be able to tell me more about yours’ and your dad’s relationship, and anything interesting which occurred in the past if anything.”

As soon as the two were through eating, they both ordered an extra cop of coffee to take with them being that it can keep warm for awhile. And within a few hours, they both will need it to wake themselves up being that doing all that traveling to their destination is going to, gradually, take its toll on them.

So, the two hopped back into the green Plymouth, and headed back onto the highway again. And while Paul is driving the car for awhile, Dave is taking a nap in the back seat being that because it takes about thirteen hours to get to their destination, the hotel, at which they will be staying, they will be switching places in a few hours again.

While Dave is sleeping in the back of the car, Paul is in deep thought, “I haven’t seen my daughter, Jennifer in some time. Wonder how she’s doing with her school and making out in living with her mother? I’m surprised, that she even allows me to see our daughter. Can’t seem to figure out how this joint custody bit is going to work out. All of these late hours with my job, makes it hard to catch the el over to where my Jennifer is living with her mom.”

In a few hours, Paul and Dave felt, that they had to make another stop as they were heading towards Indianapolis. Now, that they were on I70 towards Indianapolis, Paul figured, that, now, would be a good time to stop at his parents’ house being that they were heading that way.

So, then, as they come off of I-70, Paul, then, was heading down some side streets, and in about a half hour or so, they jus arrived over at Paul’s parents’ house.

And jus as they pulled into their driveway at their gray brick ranch house, Paul said to Dave, “something, really, hit me, all of a sudden. Think I should have, at least, given them, a call before stopping over at their place. One of them could be gone out somewhere. Also, it seems like if I’m intruding in on their privacy through jus dropping over there, uninvited.”

As they hopped out of Paul’s car, and walked up to the front door, Paul’s dad is surprised to see Paul and his friend, who he never has met, at the door. And Paul, originally, thought that he was about to find out, that his dad was gone at one of his friend’s house, where he and his friends, usually, get together for playing cards on Friday, every weekend.

Paul’s dad is more than glad to see his son and his friend, Dave. And Paul’s dad hasn’t seen his only son in some time being that Paul’s job and obligation to visiting his daughter, every so often, has kept him very busy most of his weekends.

As Paul’s dad is standing by the front door, he said to Paul, “I’m surprised that you’ve have been able to find the time to stop here to see your mom and me. In fact, we both have been pretty busy, lately, jus doing our own thing.”

“Hi, dad, it’s good to see you again,” said Paul with a curious look on his face, “and this is my good buddy, Dave; he works over at the Chicago County General Hospital with me. He’s a resident pediatrician, and he jus seems to love working with the younger set, don’t you, Dave?”

So, then, Paul’s dad said, “Why don’t you two come on inside, and make yourselves at home? In fact, if you can, I would like both of you to stay overnight. We have two couches that turn into day beds and they both are very comfortable on which to sleep.”

So, Paul and Dave came inside, and jus as they followed Paul’s dad into the kitchen where he got himself, a beer, they, also, decided, that they both could use something to drink.

Being that Paul’s dad could sense this in them, he said to them, “Would you two like something to drink? In fact, I’ve got plenty of beer, and always, keep it here in the house on stock, especially, I never know, if any of my friends are going to drop over at night for a beer and to play cards with me.”

Then, Paul answered, “Yes, in fact, we both would like a beer to drink, and if it’s not too much, we, also, would like something to eat if it’s not too bothersome for you and mom.”

So, then, Paul and Dave grabbed themselves, a beer, and Paul’s dad put out some snacks with it, figuring that they were hungry from all that traveling. And Paul’s mom wasn’t planning on serving dinner for another hour or so yet. And since, she heard Dave and Paul and his dad talking, she came walking into the dining room.

As Paul’s mom walked up to her son, Paul and friend, Dave, she said to them, “It’s nice to see you again, Paul, being we haven’t associated together in some time, and also, I’m glad to meet your friend, here, Paul. In fact, you could introduce him to me.”

Then, Paul said to his mom, “this is my good old friend from over at Chicago County General. This is Dave, we work together a lot over at the hospital being that he’s a resident pediatrician, and I’ve been given a different position as physician attendant which is a very demanding job for me.”

Paul’s mom said to Paul and Dave, “Are you two considering staying for the night, now? I think it would be smart if you two spend, at least, one night here at the house. We would appreciate if you two spend some time, visiting your dad and me, since, not having seen you in awhile. So, have you two decided what you want to do yet?”

So, then, Paul said to his mom, “I realize that, I’ve had my attending physician job over at the hospital; and since my divorce, haven’t been acting like your son anymore. But Dave has a lot of business to take care, since, his dad died. Also, we don’t have that much time on our hands; although, we took some vacation time to see you and dad. We’ll stay as long as we can; we’ll stay for dinner if it’s not real late.”

Then, Paul’s dad happened to walk into the kitchen where the rest were sitting around the kitchen table, an oak table with brown Formica on top of it. Then, he said to Paul and Dave, “what happened to bring you two here to the house? Are you two on some special business which you haven’t told us about yet?”

























CHAPTER II


Then, Paul said to his mom and dad, “It jus so happens, that Dave’s dad died a sudden and unexplained death, lately. And we’re on our way to Raleigh, North Carolina for a version of our own death ceremony for his dad. And we have to stop at that hotel residence where his dad used to live to look through his dad’s stuff. Also, tomorrow morning, have to meet his girlfriend, Mary, a resident nurse from the hospital his dad’s ceremony.”

So, Paul’s mom said to Dave and Paul, “Well, if you want to stay for dinner, Paul’s dad and I might be having it, a little late. So, hope you two can have dinner with us, at least. We’ll be having your favorite meal, Paul of venison along with your favorite dessert, key lime pie.”

Then, Paul said to his mom and dad, “Okay, we’ll, at least, stay for dinner, but we can’t stay overnight because we have a few hours to go to meet Dave’s girlfriend, Mary.”

Paul’s mom said to Paul and Dave, “Dinner will be ready in about a half hour or so, so, you two might as well go visit with Paul’s dad while you can. Most likely, you’ll find him in his workshop in the garage, so, go and see him.”

So, then, after both Paul and Dave drank a can of beer, they walked back to where the garage is, and wouldn’t you know it, there was Paul’s dad, working on some project. And as Paul and Dave sneaked inside the garage area which is separate from the area where Paul’s dad’s green Chevrolet is parked, Paul’s dad’s eyes lighted up as if he wasn’t expecting them.

While Paul’s dad continued working on whatever he’s doing, he said to Paul and Dave, “Well, I suppose you two are eager to know what I’m working on at this time. What I’m doing is trying to make your mother, Paul, a very nice set of extra chairs for the dining room in case some company ever stops over.”

“C’mon, dad,” replied Paul, “I know that there is something else which you have been working on besides the chairs for the dining room. I can feel it up my sleeve, now.”

“Well,” replied Paul’s dad, “I might as well tell you two what else I have been doing back here in the garage. Since, your mom’s and my anniversary are coming up, soon, Paul, I, also, made her, a jewelry box, and it has a surprise gift for her inside it.”

“C’mon, pop,” said Paul, “what’s holding you back from tell us, now, what it is? We promise not to tell mom what you have put inside that jewelry box.”

So, then, Paul’s dad stopped what he’s doing, and walked over to a cabinet inside the garage, and pulled out the jewelry box, painted a pretty reddish color. Then, he walked back over to where Paul and Dave are standing, and showed them, the pretty pearl necklace and earrings which were made out of genuine pearls.

Dave said to Paul and his dad, “Boy, I can’t believe it. Those pearls are real ones. I’m sure, Paul that your mom is going to love those pearls.”

Then, Dave said to Paul and his dad, “Well, I have to get going. I’ll be back in time for supper. Jus have a little business of which to take tend. It shouldn’t take that long. I have to leave now. See you, Paul and your dad and mom, later.”

So, Dave hopped into the car, and took off down a couple of streets to a gas station which has a pay phone there. And while Paul’s dad and he were working on something in the garage, together, Dave made his phone call there at the gas station. This is so; Paul’s dad wouldn’t end up having a high phone bill because Dave has to contact Mary.

He has to let her know, approximately, what time to meet him and Dave over at that hotel on Bloodworth Street in North Carolina, so, she can arrive there on time. He figured she was on her way, already, but wanted to make sure, she knew where she was going, so, she wouldn’t get lost in trying to find the hotel.

Once, Paul placed the money into the pay phone, and dialed Mary’s cell phone number, she answered immediately, so, Paul said to her, “Oh hi, my darling, where are you at right now? Can you make it to North Carolina at that hotel on Bloodworth Street by tomorrow morning?”

So, Mary replied, “I’ll be sure to make it in time. Right now, I’m on the highway and have been for many hours, already. In fact, I am, already, in North Carolina but no where’s near the hotel. So, what I’m going to do is to get off soon on Raleigh-Chapel Expressway, and since, it is dark, already, I’m just going to sleep the rest of the night in my red Cadillac.”

Then, Dave said to her, “About what time did you want to meet me and Paul? We’re staying for dinner at Paul’s parents’ house, but will be leaving right after that, so, we make it in time to the hotel. We’ll be heading out towards North Carolina, as soon as we both have had supper. His parents wanted us to stay for the night, but we want to make it in time to meet you. So, bye, my dear, see you in the morning about ten o’clock.”

So, then, Dave hopped back into the car, and headed back to Paul’s parents’ house, and once there, as Paul’s dad answered the door, Paul found out, that they all jus had dinner. So, he had some leftovers, and right after having his share of food, Paul and Dave both said goodbye to Paul’s mom and dad.

Then, Paul said to his parents, “It’s been nice seeing you two again. And from now on, I’ll try to keep in touch with you more often, even if it means sending you, a letter about once a month. And once, my custody case gets settled, then, I’ll try to find an apartment right here in Indianapolis.”

So, then, the Paul and Dave grabbed extra coffee from a fast food place jus after leaving Paul’s parents’ house, and then, they were on their way to North Carolina. Once, they were on I-75S to exit 52B and merged onto US-35 toward Xenia and a few hours, later, ended up in West Virginia. Then, after a few hours sleep, they got up about five o’clock in the morning at a park in West Virginia. Then, after they both had a power bar, along with coffee and some Gator Aid, they refreshed themselves over there at the park.

Then, Paul decided to drive, since, Dave drove last night all the way to West Virginia; and as they hopped back into the car, they headed towards Charleston. Then, Paul kept following the highways according to the map, until they reached Charlotte, North Carolina. From there, they took another highway until they turned onto Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway. From there, they drove on some side streets, and around nine-thirty in the morning arrived at N Bloodworth Street.

As they arrived at 4ll N. Bloodworth Street, and as Paul and Dave were getting out of Paul’s car, Dave’s cell phone rang. Upon answering his cell phone, Mary said to Dave.

“I know you were expecting me at the hotel by ten o’clock, but I overslept in my car because I couldn’t find a hotel in time. And right now, I’m in Virginia, so, I’ll have to meet you guys, this afternoon; jus be sure to be there around two o’clock. And don’t worry about me, I’ve traveled to North Carolina before so, I would be kind of hard for me to get lost. So, I’ll see you, then.”

Jus as Dave got off his cell phone, he said to Paul, “Well, it looks like we might as well check out my dad’s place of residence here, and after that make a little trip to the store to check out whatever his will enabled him to give to the store to sell.”

Then, Dave and Paul walked over to which used to be Dave’s dad’s trailer, as Dave received the key to the trailer from the main desk inside the hotel.

As the two walked inside the trailer, Dave remarked to Paul, “This doesn’t seem like it was much of a place for dad to live. But I think, it’s, mostly, because it has a lot of furniture inside for jus being a trailer.”

First, Paul and Dave wanted to check out his bedroom, and were surprised that it appeared like Dave’s dad, still, is living inside this trailer. And it is not that the place is haunted either, at least, Dave didn’t think of it as being haunted.

That’s, although, when a person enters a residence which a person has died inside, is considered to be that way, neither Dave nor Paul felt the least bit spooky while inside the trailer.

Dave remarked to Paul, “Don’t you feel somewhat funny in here? I, certainly, do like if someone else was inside here along with us. I think I can feel my dad’s presence in here like if he has gotten caught between two worlds, and never made it to Heaven yet.”

Paul replied, “In fact, I do, I, also, seem to feel your dad inside this place, and the feeling is coming over from his bed of all things. Also, I can a white ghost of him, lying in his bed. So, let’s hurry out of here. I’m starting to feel quite spooky inside.”

First, they checked out the drawers inside a small oak wood dresser; and they are surprised to find all these items like pictures and things inside it. And the dresser seemed to, really, be loaded clothes along with quite a lot of pictures of when Dave was a lot younger, yet. Also, Dave found a few videos of his younger life along with a video camera which were in the bottom drawer being that for a dresser of that size, it’s a very big drawer.

So, Dave took out the movie camera and videos, that he found in the bottom drawer, and then, he and Paul looked around for the screen, and as they walked into the living room area, they happened to spot it way over in a corner of one of the wooden walls. The wooden walls seemed to accent the dark green couch and lazy boy chairs made out of corduroy material.

Jus after setting the movie camera and videos down on the couch for a minute or two, then, Dave said to Paul, “Why don’t you help me, set up the screen? Will show you some videos which my dad took of me back when I used to be jus a kid. Jus in being inside this trailer makes feel connected to my dad like if his ghost is around inside here.”

So, Paul said, setting up the screen near the wall, “How’s this? This way, the light bouncing off of the television from the moonlight coming through the window, won’t get in the way as you run the movie camera on the screen.”

Dave replied, “That’s jus perfect. This way, we’ll have a perfect view of the screen. In fact, we both can sit on the couch here while I’m running the video camera. Would you like anything right now? I’m sure; my dad must have some of his beer stashed away in his refrigerator. He was a big beer drinker when he used to be alive.”

Paul said to him, “That sounds good to me. After the hectic day, we’ve had, I need a beer to help calm me down. Also, beer makes me feel good.”

So, Dave walked into the kitchen; upon opening the fridge, wasn’t surprised to find some beer in there. So, he got out two cans of it, as they both opened their cans of beer, a little bit fizzed all over them. So, Dave got out his handkerchief, and they both used it to get the fizz off of themselves.

Then, the two settled down on the couch, and then, Dave said to Paul, “This seems a bit uncomfortable for me. So, then, I’ll show you, the videos, standing up. That way, I’ll be able to control the video camera better.”

After Dave is done showing the videos to Paul, the two, then, were surprised at what time it was. They, only, had about an hour before they were to meet Mary at the hotel.

So, Dave and Paul, gulped down their beers. They took all of Dave’s dad’s stuff, and fit whatever they could in the trunk of the car. Then, they both have a milkshake from a carryout place, nearby, and came back to the hotel.

Soon, they pulled into the hotel parking lot on Bloodworth Street, and hopped out of the car. They were walking around the hotel when Dave jus happened to catch an eye of Mary, walking from another area of the parking lot towards them. As she caught up to them, she jus smiled at Dave, then, he said to her as she gave him, a big hug and kiss.

“Oh boy, am I glad to see you, my dear. All the time, Paul and I have been in North Carolina, it has seemed like forever as we jus came from my dad’s place, trying to retrieve whatever we could of his stuff. In fact, we, even, watched some of my dad’s videos which made me, feel connected to dad jus before meeting you, here.”

So, then, Dave said to Mary, “what did you have in mind? Did you want to have some lunch here with us at the hotel restaurant being that we have a long walk ahead of us?”

She said to Paul and Dave, “Yes, that would be a very good idea. In fact, I think we should, also, buy some Gator Aid from the store here, since, the days, especially, the afternoons can get quite hot at this time of year, although, the days are never humid.”

So, as soon as they all walked inside the restaurant, they all sat down at one of the red booths. In fact, they all ordered the breakfast specialty consisting of eggs, toast, bacon, and iced decaffeinated coffee to keep them cool for awhile in the North Carolina heat.

Jus after breakfast, the three, Paul, Dave and Mary, then, after Dave paid for all the meals, then, they headed towards the store where they got their Gator Aid. And then, before heading on their long walk in the desert-like air, they all went inside the hotel where Dave’s dad’s urn of ashes was being kept. And once, Dave picked it up at the main desk, then, the three were on their way through all that deep sand which seemed to go on forever.

After having walked all that way for about an hour, and coming across a cactus, Dave and Paul were surprised when Mary stopped right there, and showed the others how to fill their canteens with the cactus juices which are very sweet and succulent to the taste.

And as they were, Dave said to Mary, “Never knew, that you loved getting the juices from the cactus. When did you start like the juices?”

Mary replied, “It jus so happens, that I’ve never tried drinking the juices before. I jus have this urge to try them out being that I jus seem to have the taste for them right now. So, why don’t you two try them out? They are very good.”

So, without a word both Paul and Dave were a little squeamish at first, but went ahead and tasted the juices. But they were surprised at how good they were, and how they satisfied their thirst.

Then, Mary said to Paul and Dave, “I don’t know about you two but because of this heat, I need to stop as I can’t go any farther. And I’m sure, that neither of you want to continued walking in this heat either right now. Also, this is a perfect spot near the hills for your dad’s ceremony, Dave. So, I would suggest, that however you want to do it, Dave that we start out little ceremony in honor of your dad.”

So, then, Dave said to Paul and Mary, “I have a bottle of wine with me, so, each of you take some of it in these shot glasses. This is in honor of my dad, and the love I wish he had for me when he had been alive. Also, so his soul goes to Heaven, and so that he look down on each one of us with loving eyes with all his love. And ask him to do all he can to help me through the grieving process over his death. However, I’ve never understood, he never could express his fatherly love to me.”

Jus at that time, each one of them gulped down their shot of wine which was followed by Dave, sprinkling all of his dad’s ashes around the sand where they all were standing. And then, they all jus stood there as they all said a prayer for Dave’s dad as he’s, now, above in Heaven. And with this prayer, he’s showering down all his love to Dave and all in the family and whoever used to know him when he, once, was alive.

Then, they all gulped down some of their Gator Aid, and jus after having some of their cactus juice from their canteens, then, proceeded back on what seemed like a journey back to them the hotel; it seemed to take forever to get back there. But, once, they all arrived back there, and refreshed themselves.

As they all met in the office area of the hotel, Paul then, said to Dave and Mary, “Let’s go on a ride in Paul’s car over to the store, where my dad had all his valuables taken jus before he died. And we all can, then, look over whatever is there at the store. And whatever we each decide on, we can buy, and take with us a remembrance of my dad, although, neither you, Paul or Mary, ever knew my dad, personally.”

ENDING:

Paul, Dave, and Mary decided on what they wanted from the store, and they all bought a piece of jewelry, which money, they all paid for whatever they wanted to buy, went to a special charity which Dave’s dad had picked out jus before he died.

And then, on their trip back home, all of them traveled in Paul’s car on their way to Chicago. Around twelve midnight, then, Paul pulled over on one of the highways, and out an exit where they spent the rest of the night, sleeping in Paul’s Plymouth. At sunrise, they all woke up, had some coffee and a power bar, and headed on their way home again arriving at Dave’s apartment at five o’clock in the morning where Paul slept on a day bed, and Mary slept with Dave in his bed.

No comments: